Unified Arts Mission Statement
UA curricula provide numerous opportunities for formal and informal learning experiences in which students:
- Develop critical thinking, problem solving, and self-assessment skills.
- Benefit from performance-based, authentic, alternative assessment models.
- Are encouraged to participate in interdisciplinary learning.
- Experience peers to peer interactions, in heterogeneous environments, which further reinforce successful experiences.
- Connect with the theoretical, practical and historical larger culture.
- Develop necessary skills for the world of work.
- Engage in reflection and self-expression.
UA contributes to the overall learning process and is significant to the developmental growth of all seventh and eight grade students. Additionally, UA course work helps make the connections to learning in other class work.
In the area of mathematics problem solving and reading, UA curricula allow ample opportunities for students to apply problem solving and reading in meaningful ways. UA allows students to make a strong connection to skills developed in other areas.
The connection or application of information to higher levels of learning is fundamental in the UA approach to the learning process. The successful use or application of mathematics and reading skills in the UA areas helps to develop assets within a student. This concept can be demonstrated by fact that many students, as well as parents, keep the projects that are made within a UA class. The completion of the project represents, to the individual, work they were highly successful at and very proud of.
In general, the UA curricula provide a critical opportunity for formal and informal learning experiences in which students…
- Develop necessary skills for the world of work,
- Experience peer to peer interaction, which further reinforces successful experiences,
- Benefit from performance-base, authentic, alternative assessment models,
- Connect with the larger culture,
- Develop critical thinking, problem solving, and self-assessment skills,
- Are encouraged to reflection and self-expression,
- Work in heterogeneous environments